Ovulation can occur within 8 days of taking mifepristone, so you could get pregnant right away. When to start your birth control depends on the type of birth control you have chosen:
- The birth control pill and the patch can be started on the day you take misoprostol.
- The vaginal ring can be inserted one week after taking misoprostol.
- The depo shot can be given at the follow-up appointment at Women’s Health Clinic, approximately one week after taking misoprostol.
- An IUD/IUS can be inserted during the follow-up appointment at Women’s Health Clinic, approximately one week after taking misoprostol.
- Condoms can help prevent pregnancy and the transmission of sexually transmitted infections.
- We recommend people avoid insertive sex (or inserting anything into their vagina) for a week after taking misoprostol.
There will be time during your appointment to discuss birth control options with the counsellor.