A pregnancy can occur soon after a surgical abortion. When to start your birth control depends on the type of birth control you have chosen:
- The birth control pill, patch and depo can be started on the day of your surgical abortion.
- An IUD/IUS can be inserted on the day of your appointment.
- The vaginal ring can be inserted the first Sunday after your procedure.
- Condoms can help prevent pregnancy and the transmission of sexually transmitted infections.
- We recommend people avoid insertive sex (or inserting anything into their vagina) for a week after your procedure.
There will be time during your appointment to discuss birth control options with the counsellor.