For more information about midwifery services in Winnipeg, please call Central Intake for Midwifery Services at 204-947-2422 ext 307.
Information in French: Contacter une sage-femme
Please click the link for a listing of practice locations for Manitoba midwives or call the College of Midwives of Manitoba at 204-783-4520.
What are midwives?
Midwives are health care professionals trained to provide prenatal, labour and birth, and postpartum care. All practicing midwives must be registered with the College of Midwives of Manitoba. Midwives respect and support each person’s right to make choices about their care, caregiver and place of birth.
Midwives offer the following care:
- comprehensive prenatal care at home or in clinic
- all necessary prenatal testing (examples: blood work, ultrasound)
- choice of birth place: hospital, Birth Centre or home
- care and support during labour and delivery
After baby is born:
- breastfeeding support
- care for mother and baby at home or clinic visits for 6 weeks after the birth
- early parenting education
Other services midwives provide:
- prescribe and administer certain drugs
- order certain tests
- admit to hospital
- consultation with doctors and other health care professionals when needed
- complementary therapies related to pregnancy, birth, and postpartum care
For more information on midwifery practices, please see the College of Midwives of Manitoba standards of practice.