Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Fact Sheets
Women’s Health Clinic & COVID-19
Update: July 2nd, 2020
At WHC, we take the health and safety of our community very seriously and do everything we can to keep people safe as they use our services. We are closely following updates and recommendations from:
- Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living (MHSAL)
- Shared Health
- The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
We continue to adapt our services in response to new information and revised recommendations from these organizations. Thank you for your patience as we make those changes.
IMPORTANT: Please call us at 204-947-1517 before coming to our clinic at 419 Graham Avenue.
Screening at WHC:
Clients: We screen clients for COVID-19 upon arrival. We screen abortion clients by telephone before their procedure date and again in person when they arrive for the procedure. If people are ill, we strongly encourage them to stay home for the well-being of all.
Staff & Visitors: All clinic staff and visitors must self-screen (temperature check and complete a self-assessment for any COVID-19 risks and symptoms) before going to their work area.
Please note: We are not a Covid-19 community testing site. Please click to see a list of screening sites in Winnipeg.
WHC Program-Specific Information:
*Please note: Some of our staff are working remotely; response times may be delayed. We appreciate your patience.
We currently provide appointments for the following essential services (appointments are by phone whenever possible):
- abortion (both surgical and medication abortion) including intake and follow-up
- emergency contraception
- pregnancy and birth control counselling/information
- birth control (including pill pick up, IUD insertions and urgent follow-up)
- STI checks and treatment
Counselling Services & Provincial Eating Disorder Prevention and Recovery Program
All workshops/groups are suspended until further notice. Our general counselling and eating disorder program intake lines are open. We are currently providing counselling services over the phone. If you have a previously scheduled appointment with us and have not been contacted already, please call your counsellor, or call us at 204-947-1517.
For specific Provincial Eating Disorder Prevention and Recovery Program questions, please call 204-947-2422 ext. 137.
Parenting Groups and Workshops
All workshops/groups are suspended until further notice. This includes all Healthy Baby / Families Connecting community groups, Healthy Families, Handle with Care and Coping with Change at the Birth Centre.
Contact the WHC Mother’s Program Warm Line for help finding resources or to chat with one of our parent support group facilitators. This service is for any parents or caregivers of young children, not just mothers. Call 204-947-2422 ext. 113 (leave a message and we’ll call you back) or email email@example.com.
Health Education and Training
All health education workshops/training are suspended until further notice. We will be moving some facilitator trainings online. Please call 204-947-2422 ext. 113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Our intake line is open. Please call us at 204-947-2422 ext. 307 to request a midwife.
We still offer midwifery appointments, some by phone and some in person. Before your appointment, we’ll call you for screening and ask have you:
- Had new onset of cold or flu-like symptoms (cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat, weakness or headache)?
- Returned from travel outside Manitoba (excluding travel to Western Canada, the Territories or Ontario west of Terrace Bay) in the last 14 days?
- Had exposure* to a confirmed COVID-19 case within 14 days? *Exposure may include scenarios or settings like large events with confirmed case(s) of COVID-19.
- Had close contact with someone being tested for COVID-19 at this time?
- Been instructed to self-isolate or self-monitor for 14 days?
If any of these questions apply to you, a midwife will discuss options for visiting you in your home or in hospital. During home visits, midwives will wear personal protective equipment.
Please note: Only the pregnant person and one support person may attend appointments.
While childminding is still available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we strongly encourage making alternative child care arrangements if you can. If you have more than one support person for your appointment, they will be asked to wait outside, so please plan accordingly.
We strongly encourage handwashing and physical distancing. We ask you to sanitize your hands upon arrival and to give our front desk staff some space.
Labour and Delivery
Every pregnant person and support person will be pre-screened during admission. You may be redirected to the hospital for labour and birth if the screening questions apply to you. Each pregnant person is allowed only one support person. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your midwife.
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank Drop Site
We still accept milk donations but call us first at 204-594-0900. If you are a first-time donor or want to donate, visit NorthernStar at www.northernstarmilkbank.ca and call them at 1-403-475-6455 BEFORE calling us or coming to the Birth Centre).
Social distancing strategies for all Manitobans include:
- Minimizing prolonged (more than 10 minutes), close (less than two metres) contact between other individuals in public.
- Avoiding greetings that involve touching such as handshakes
- Disinfecting frequently-used surfaces and regular handwashing.
- Following public health advice related to self-monitoring and self-isolation if you have travelled or been exposed to someone ill with the virus.
- Considering avoiding travel, crowded places and events, especially if you are at higher risk.
Check this page regularly for updates.
Thank you for your consideration and understanding as we continue to monitor the situation.